Thursday 22 June 2017

Nostalgia to cheer a cheerless day

I admit to being a tad bored on a dismal winter day. Persistent drizzle and trees displaying bare branches.
I dabbled into a photo file `Roy’s choice.’’
I was reminded of many mega bicycle trips through Scandinavia and France.
Have chosen three images to share.


First up is a view at the end of an inspiring, albeit tiring, day at Billund Legoland, Denmark.
The weary woman leaning on a Lego companion sharing her seat sums up the feeling. I ask which figure is real.  Both display similar animation.
Legoland is expensive entertainment. Luckily the expense is offset by the brilliance of the experience comprising 85 million Lego blocks.
Billund is a smallish town with an international airport, only second to Copenhagen in air traffic.
Why?
So happens Billund is where Lego originated. The blocks are said to be the 1930s invention of local carpenter, Ole Kirk Christiansen.
It was well worth the additional ks of pedal turning to get there.



Two years previously we were cycling the French Alps. We cycled over four cols associated with the 2006 Tour de France. We camped in several quaint French villages.  One morning when departing Briancon I glanced up to a rustic barn to see this guy on a coffee break. His accompanying lamp and pot plant intrigued me. I wonder if he has spotted me. Maybe he is just bored.



Then in Fremantle (Freo to the locals) we uncounted this amazing punk busker. He was playing his heart out. I enjoy bag pipe music and his suitably bellied his unruly appearance. I tried to purchase his CD on offer but could not make it through his audience. He was performing at Fremantle’s popular markets. I have cycled to Fremantle, from Perth, about 30 km, on several occasions. A great ride mostly on dedicated cycle ways bordering the Swan River.         



No comments:

Post a Comment