Thursday 17 August 2017

                                             Amused by my tea towel

I had being buying Selaks Reserve Chardonnay and enjoying my daily glass or three. But I inexplicably missed out on a free tea towel offer that came when buying two bottles. I sent an email to Selaks and they kindly sent me one. It’s a beauty using a play on words to present an agreeable line Great Minds Drink Alike. 


The Selaks wine bottle label is one that typically catches my attention. I was therefore interested to do a little research.
Marino Selaks, aged 24, arrived in New Zealand from Croatia in 1906. Most things about his adopted country were agreeable apart from olive oil and wine not being a part of everyday life. He was used to a bottle of wine being on the dinner table. He bought a market garden, orchards and a winery in Auckland and went to work. With other Selaks’s arriving from Croatia, winemaking became a family business creating the traditional European wine styles. Later Selaks produced New Zealand’s second sparkling wine and exported to Australia. A setback was in 1956 when the government acquired the vineyard for part of the North West motorway. Cabernet Sauvignon had just been planted for the first time.
Alternative land was purchased and more grapes planted, this time 5000 vines of the latest varietals. Land was also purchased in Marlborough, the home for New Zealand’s distinctive Sauvignon Blanc.
Success hinged on decisions of what might work and, in true kiwi style, giving it a go.
An enlightening video can be viewed on www.selaks.co.nz

In the meantime I chuckle over Great Minds Drink Alike.
It’s a rare, pleasant, change to have amusement when drying dishes.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment