Friday 6 July 2018


The 12 out of 10 man
Does the title to this blog bring back memories of one’s aspiring success rate?  Efforts during school days were judged by how many one scored out of 10. If 10 out of 10 was unlikely the typical outcome, seven or 8 out of 10 was almost a celebration. Five out of 10 was an uninspiring average. And 6 out of 10 was marginally better.
A 4 out of 10 was demeaning. A one-time mentor, rail devote and educator Gordon Troup, remarked about giving a student a 4 out of 10.
``I did it for encouragement,’’ he said. His effort was not that good.’’

My own demeaning effort as a scholar was two percent in School Certificate French. (0.2 out of 10).

                                         Cyril Evans (left) with Gordon Troup (right).

I recall a day some years ago when I was handed the fireman’s shovel while having a footplate ride on Kingston Flyer loco Ab 795. Watching an old hand stoking a steam locomotive and it looks so easy. For the non-familiar, the task is anything but easy. I was amazed at how much coal I clumsily shovelled into the firebox and how little puff I saw in return. I was, however, feeling reasonably good about it as we chugged along towards Fairlight. Most of the coal had gone where it should. The rollicking footplate under me feet had remained mostly free of coal.
Glancing up to Mr Kingston Flyer, Russell Glendinning, I asked ``How many out of 10?’’
He wiped his forehead, smirked, and replied, ``Four.’’
He must have seen my disappointment.
``But if we get back to Kingston you might do better.’’

                              Mr Kingston Flyer, Russell Glendinning

I did owing mostly to the return trip being down-grade.
I ended up scoring an eight.
More recently I have been monkeying around with scoring.
If I am suitably impressed why not score better than 10 out of 10?
How about 12 out of 10?
It has a pleasant ring to it and is guarantee to return a smile.
Am I devilish, optimistic or just encouraging?
Health issues have necessitated ongoing hospital appointments. Our New Zealand health system curiously gets a bruising from the media. Interestingly, those needing to use the health system are more generous.
I am always impressed by the treatment I have received. Not just the medical treatment but the pleasant attitude of all involved.
My default mark along with expressing appreciation is therefore a 12 out of 10.
In my New world supermarket, a new checkout operator, Brenden, stood out somewhat. He was taller than his colleagues. And I saw him as one of those delightful old-fashioned grocers.
We might call them, ``a real grocer.’’
When I gave Brenden a 12 out of 10 he beamed. He then indicated his supervisor.
``Go and tell her that.’’
I did. The young woman packing my groceries looked amused.
On parting I told her she was an 11 out of 10.
I enjoy going to St Martin’s New World. All staff, on any day would score an 11 or better out of 10.
I once thought the best epitaph on my grave would be ``He loved his wine.’’
Maybe I would prefer to be remembered the ``12 out of 10 man.’’



                                John Snell, Manager of a pint-sized railway. He frequently scored
                             12 out of 10 in this blogger's opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment