Monday 9 January 2017


Lady of Lawrence
At the conclusion of a cycling adventure I reward myself with something special.
Having completed Roxburgh Gorge and Clutha Gold trails, Lady of Lawrence boutique B&B ticks the boxes.  Firstly, I am impressed with the attention to detail at the stately Lawrence dwelling. Much of it reflects the proprietor’s equestrian passion. Artwork is well chosen as is the chandelier lighting. A bottle of Port awaits a willing guest’s nightcap.
And the Lady of Lawrence herself, Verity Wolf, is the perfect host. She speaks with that distinctive, almost musical, Melbourne accent and frequently finds something to laugh at.

She hails from the Dandenong Ranges east of Melbourne. She loved it there but was unsuccessful in purchasing a B&B. ``I missed out, and missed out and got really frustrated.’’  
A girlfriend in East Taieri suggested Verity paid her a visit.
``I came for a holiday determined to never end up working in New Zealand. But look what happened,’’ she laughs.   
She chanced upon the ``Sycamores,’’ at 20 Peel Street, Lawrence. ``I really fell in love with it. I was soon thinking about renovating it. The ``Sycamores,’’ was built in 1912 for Archibald Mc Kinley who had made a lot of money goldmining at nearby Gabriel’s Gully.  Later the ``Sycamores’’ became a home for Presbyterian ministers. 
The property had once been a small scale B&B but was not sold as a going concern. Also, it had been vacant for two years.  Verity bought it as a house. Then she had to work through necessary compliances to establish a B&B.
Hours and hours were spent bringing the garden back into shape. And lots of cleaning, and repairing fireplaces.
``It was a bigger job than I anticipated. I refurbished the rooms myself with help from a local handyman. Tradesmen were mostly electricians.
``My partner Duncan helped with the last room. The ceiling needed four coats of paint and I had done two. I then put on the poor girl act saying my shoulders were really hurting. ``Duncan said, ` all right.’ I was realty grateful.’’
Verity has a degree in Horse Business Management from Melbourne University.
``When I told someone about my degree he misheard and said, `Oh terrific, you have a degree in being awesome.’ ’’ She subsequently worked in equestrian as a professional dressage rider and in the racing industry.
``I worked with people as well as in administration –time management, customer service and all that.  Many of those skills tie in with what I am doing now. She bought a Mountain bike to ride sections of the Clutha Gold Trail.
``I came here partly for the lifestyle so need to get out for recreation.  But changing to bike-power from horse power presented challenges. A narrow bicycle seat is vastly different from sitting on a horse. ``I changed the seat for one with much more padding.’’
Lady of Lawrence has been going for only a few weeks when I call by. The few previous guests have included mid-aged couples completing the Clutha Gold Trail. Others were there for events in Lawrence.
``I can see the trails as a big bonus for Lawrence.  There’s been a lot of positive feedback. And people are requesting somewhere really special to stay at the end of the trail.’’


  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment